August 13, 2012

Camping In Hong Kong | Ngong Ping

Last weekend I went camping and all was perfect for those two days. We rode a cable car, ate some sushi, saw a few cows, pitched a tent, said hi to some stray dogs, ate some vegetarian food and helped a lost girl find her hostel. All this and more photos AFTER THE JUMP.

Ngong Ping cable car camping.
Before we headed off into the abyss we had to get ourselves some pemmican. Because we are Chinese we were afraid we would starve in the wilderness so we got some all-you-can-eat sushi at the Citygate Mall before heading off. I've biked, I've hiked, and I've kayaked but I'm pretty sure the Ngong Ping 360 cable car is the most baller way to get to a campsite, the view is absolutely spectacular and it's always fun to scream during the fast take-off parts.
Ngong Ping campsite
The Ngong Ping campsite is only about a 20 minute walk from the cable car terminal, the site is picturesque and well equipped and there is a really clean bathroom a few meters away and it's all free! Thank you Hong Kong government. We spent waaay too much time fooling around in the supermarket in Tung Chung so we had to quickly set up our tents before the sunset, but luckily there was a little time to do a quick watercolour before it got too dark. In the end I didn't even end up sleeping in my tent, I was too scared to sleep by myself (maybe don't go camping with just 3 girls?) and also I didn't want to miss out on any late night chats. So, we all squeezed into one tent and tried not to pee during the night.
beautiful Po Lin Monastery, plants and architecture and food.
In the morning, with all fears of the boogeyman dissipated we ate vegetarian food () at Po Lin Monastery, I heard it's what everyone does when they're up on the hill so I was super excited and was hoping it would be some sort of gourmet spiritual experience. Boy was I wrong, it's basically a canteen where they serve mediocre meatless food. Save your cash and eat somewhere else, but the monastery is worth a look around it's quite pretty.

Getting There: Take the Ngong Ping 360 ($86 one way) /or/ Take Bus 23 from Tung Chung town center, get off at Ngong Ping and take the path to Tung Shan Fat Mun via the Tea Garden, you will pass a little outdoor snack restaurant and a hostel on the way to the campsite. 

Do you prefer campsites and all their conveniences or camping au naturel? What are some of your favourite places to camp in Hong Kong? I'm going to share my other favourite place Tai Long Wan on the next Camping in Hong Kong post so stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment