May 1, 2013

Sketches | Rainbow Scarf Girl and DIY Gouache Palette

Yesterday was a public holiday here in Hong Kong and my friend Helene came over and we had a drawing date. We chatted, ate snacks and doodled stuff while looking at jealousy-inducing pretty people on Instagram.

It was really good I haven't been feeling very inspired to draw these last few weeks and whenever I do none of my drawings turn out the way I want. So it was so nice to have a friend over and doodle while we chatted, reminds me that making art doesn't have to be grueling and solitary for it to be good. Making art is play.

Know that it is good to work. Work with love and think of liking it when you do it. It is easy and interesting. It is a privilege. There is nothing hard about it but your anxious vanity and fear of failure.
– Brenda Ueland
I drew the scarf girl from a really old issue of H&M magazine from a House of Holland photo using this DIY paint palette I made. I couldn't find any reasonably priced gouache palettes at the art supply store so I decided to make my own out of a mini toolbox I found at the dollar store.


No comments:

Post a Comment